Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Exactly One Month Ago our Family woke up as three, but when we went to sleep we were already 4

One month ago today, we met Gabriela Mercedes Anli. Thanks my absolutely fearless daughter for letting us be your parents. Gracias mi chiquilla por habernos dado el gran obsequio de poder ser tus padres. We could not imagine our family without you, and in fact it feels as if you had been with us for quite a lot longer. I would be totally unable to love this little girl more.
The last almost 3 weeks back in Puerto Rico have been spent adapting and getting back into routine, including return to school for Sebastian as well as return to work for Papi. On our third day back our familiest gave us a Welcome Gabriela party, which was great. I was really afraid for Gabriela, because I felt it could turn out to be a little bit too much people too soon. Well, as it turned out, Gabriela did great. Met everyone and had a wonderful time. We were all pretty jet lagged at that point, but it was good and we really thank our families who made the activity a success. Thanks also for all of the gifts, not only for Gabriela but for the ones given to Sebastian, in order to make him fee better and not left out. Thanks, it made a difference.
We are doing very good, including Gabriela. Many people have asked whether we would write more in the blog. Sorry for not writing for a long time, but it has been harder to do so since I got home. I will try to write in the next couple of days a long post with everything that has transpired since we got back. I can already tell you that Gabriela has a huge personality, and f we can totally understand why she was known as being somewhat wild. This girl is a dynamo, who loves to dance, loves the pool, and the water in general, loves to eat, crawls (not on 4 yet but she cruises everywhere), sits perfectly, sleeps perfectly and pretty much tries to repeat whatever she sees I have not met a person more curious about everything than Gabriela, and I think that she will either be a contortionist or a gymnast, but this girl is FLEXIBLE. She is like an Energizer bunny, and is extremely sociable, although she clearly prefers to be with Mommy to whom she has really BONDED with. The person with whom Gabi laughs the most is her older brother, who is lik her idol. She thinks that Sebastian is hilarious. She also already attended her first birthday party for Sebastian Jose, the son of very good friends of ours, and had a blast. It was in a Romp and Roll scenario.
When we met Gabi, she had 2 teeth. She now has 8 teeth, 3 of which have already broken through and are tiny yet but already out.
Someone recently asked how did it feel to have Gabriela in her room. I inclued a photo of her in her crib because I remembered that I had posted a photo of the crib with dolls inside, and had indicated at the time that I wanted it to be Gabi instead of the dolls. Therearen no words to describe how it feels to have GABI in her room, how to describe the feeling that your famliy is finally complete. There are just no words.
Also, please note that on September 20 we went to watch the documentary Somewhere between, which I strongly encourage everyone to watch. It was emotionally draining, and I would have waited longer after travelling to China to watch it if I had known, but it was so beautiful. It deals with the questions that our daughters and sons who come to us through an adoption journey, have regarding their quest for an identity and what each of 4 teenagers do about it. This documentary recently won an award in the Sundance festival, and therefore there were Sundance representatives present, who afterwards asked to interview me. Gabriela totally charmed them, and laughed through it all. I was told that the footage would be also sent to us, which I believe wil be valuable for Gabriela's future, since Mommy had certainly to answer some pretty hard questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment