Today, on day number 14 of our trip, the day began with Sebastian feeding the fish at the hotel. He was very excited.
We then visited the Jade and Pearl Markets. I am very excited because I was able to get both a jade pendant and bracelet for Gabriela. The bracelet I will wear first for her, and when she is older I will pass it on to her, as per Chinese tradtion. Since you want the bracelet to fit pretty snuggly, I thought it was funny that they put a plastic bag around your hand in order to put the bangle. At first I was what does this man think he is doing. It was really good to have our guide along for this because she gave us quite a bit of guidance. Jade is considered to be for good luck, and it is very important for the Chinese culture. Then I also got Gabriela some pearls.
We then went to Shamian Island, which means sandy surface in Chinese. Shamian Island looks totally different from the rest of Guangzhou, since it used to be owned in part by the French and part by the British. Therefore,, the architecture is a throwback to the colonnial days. It is very important to the adoption community, since until a couple of years ago most of the adoption going ons took place here. it is also where the famous White Swan hotel is located, which is now closed and which is the home of the famous red couch, which is couch where many pics were taken from the adopted kids by the proud adoptive parents.
We had a wonderful time. We first went to have lunch at the famous Lucy's, which is an American owned restaurant, pretty famous between adoptive parents. We went there with our friends Jen and Steve, as well as Dr. Jerry (who left today and who we give enormous thanks for. For a parent, it really gives a lot of peace of mind to have known that Dr. Jerry was near if needed), Suzanne and all of our respective kids. We then also went to the playground, where the kids had a blast. Finally we went shopping, and got some traditional dresses for Gabriela, as well as squeaky shoes, some toys for Seba and chops for both Sebastian and Gabriela. These are handmade stamps with both their names in English and Chinese.
When we arrived at the hotel, I took both Gabriela and Sebastiann to the play room. They had a wonderful time, especially Sebastian who made friends with another 5 year old. It is beautiful to see how language barriers only exist among adults. Children can communicate no matter what. Sebastian gives an English intonation to his Spanish words, and seriously believes that he is speaking English, plus he has learned some English words as well.
Tomorrow at 10:00 am we have the consulate appointment. I hope that everything goes great.
P.D.- Gabriela está cada vez mas y mas apegada a nosotros. Es increible ver como algo que al principio no le gustaba mucho que hiciera, que era mecerla, ahora la encanta. Es una chulería de nena y mucha gente me ha comentado que se parece a mi, lo que obviamente no es necesario, pero ciertamente no molesta, particularmente por los ojos. Muchos también han comentado que es un fit perfecto para nuestra familia. La verdad es que no podría imaginar nuestra vida por siquiera un segundo sin esa chiquilla.




No comments:
Post a Comment